Tuesday 16 October 2012

A Boy...and his mother....

      I have been spending a lot of time at the hospital these past couple of days. Mak's been admitted for mild stroke. The ward that she's in is filled with patients who are in critical condition.

      Today, one of the patients in the row across from her breathed her last breath...alone and almost unnoticed.  I remember the doctor telling her children at lunch time that there was nothing more he could do for their mother, and mooted that they took her home. The children decided not to...and none waited by her side...and noone was there when the medics covered her and carted her away a few hours later.

      On the other hand, there is this boy [barely 13] who sat diligently by his mother's side, holding her hand all the time. He was alone and he looked lost. It touched a chord in me. I went up to him and struck a conversation. He's the youngest of 6 siblings - the rest are either working or at school. So he was left to keep his mum company. And he's doing a great job of it! Since he hadn't had his lunch yet, I told him that I'd relief him for a while. After all, his mum seemed comfortable with me - she had taken to holding my hand and managed to doze off for a bit.

      I discovered that his lunch consisted of instant noodle in a cup [I had expected him to go to the cafeteria]. There was a pile of it on the bedside table! And that was all he had with him. I sensed that this boy wouldn't accept my money for lunch at the cafeteria. There's just something about this young boy...a certain maturity. Maybe he had to grow up too soon. He's polite, calm and caring. I saw how concerned he was about his mum...the way he responded to her every groan and moan. Yet I also sensed that he was relieved that an adult was there with him...albeit a stranger. His eyes never left her while he consumed his instant noodles. He ate quickly...as if he's scared that his mum might feel abandoned if he left her hand unheld for long.

      I wished I could have given him a hug.

      When I saw him again during the evening visiting hour, he had company. I guess the girl is his sister as they have similar looks. There was also a man on a wheelchair and a young adult. We smiled at each other...that boy and I.

      I had passed him some cookies earlier and I noticed that they were all gone. I believe that we're now friends....  :)

2 comments:

  1. The things people do forget sometimes and for granted are that mothers are always there when we need them! When they are gone they realized the things they should have done etc etc!

    So when mothers are still alive spending some moment with them and knowing that you are happy are just what they need....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's so true, faiz. that's what all most mums want for their kids - for them to be happy...and to see that reflected on their faces :)

      Delete