Monday 19 August 2013

An intriguing movie indeed

            I watched a movie recommended by my son. There sat 8 people in a bare living room - 7 senior college professors and a student. The central figure was a man who claimed he had lived for 14000 years.
            It was a really interesting movie. It explored the human psyche - that people will believe in only what is known and proven to them. People are generally scared stiff of the unknown....or whatever is beyond their logic to fathom.
            Many folks require scientific proof of everything in order to believe. Same for these folks in the movie - they needed proof that God exists.
            Personally I find it liberating to just have faith that Allah exists. That He did whatever He said He did in the Quran. I don't require it proven. I see many things that man could never do. So I believe that there's a mightier force - way mightier than man, and He's the force who created all these things. And I leave it at that. Perfectly contented to accept His existence. No stress. No questions. Absolute acceptance.
            So maybe I'm lazy. Maybe some will say that I don't challenge my intelligence. I'm okay with that. I love asking questions. But not on stuff that has no impact on my day to day activities or my believe system. I remember a lecture on people of the cave [al-Kahfi]. And the speaker saying, "Does it matter what colour shirts those guys were wearing? Does knowing this improve your faith?"
            I see folks struggling to find faith. Always asking for proof. There's even a friend who wants God himself to speak to him. Yet he doesn't want to go all out to find God. You can him everything there is to tell and he wouldn't believe.
            Same for the folks in this movie. One believed that anything is possible. Another died when he discovered the central character was telling the truth. Most of the rest were happy to accept that it was all a grand play of one man's imagination. And a lady who knew it was the truth and accepted it peaceably.
            Watch this and be intrigued......

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM_zl2GIg44






No comments:

Post a Comment