Thursday 1 August 2013

Syawal is around the corner....

            I noticed that my family and friends aren't as frantic with Syawal preparations this year. Most everyone seems so laid-back and cool about it all. I hardly saw postings of new curtains, clothes, kuih muih [cookies] and the like. It's almost like folks are drained after all that PRU13 excitement!
            Even the malls I went to were rather quiet. Hardly any jostling around. I don't hear people complaining about the shortage of sugar - a common occurrence come Ramadhan. Then again, it could just be me who is blind to whatever goes on around me! Since I hardly manage to finish a kilo of sugar every quarter, what would I know right!
            I don't bake cookies. Or buy curtains. Or shop for new clothes or shoes. Even in years past. My "baju raya" are normally gifts from family and friends. I'm so blessed!
            Since mum is indisposed this year, chances are there'll be no cooking done. It feels strange when there's no talk of wajik or nasi impit or kuah lodeh. Wonder what the family will get up to come malam raya.
            Maybe I should get 100 tea candles and light up my corridor :) I've always loved the pelita raya of my younger days. My brothers would erect stands to hang them - all around our compound. The entire kampung comes alive come malam tujuh lekor. Us kids would go round the kampung to admire the lights - which comes in glass bottles, tin cans, even bamboo. Mum would always dress us girls in special raya eve outfits which she sewed herself.
            Now it's mostly fairy lights and those fancy twinkling and star/ketupat-shaped ones. I no longer sight the makciks busy making bahulu, kuih ros, kacang atom and such like delicacies. No stopping by their homes to "menyebuk" - in the guise of helping. No more of mum's "kawah" cooking. No more pre-raya sampling of the neighbours' goodies.
            I guess the new breed of corporate ladies turned moms and grandmas just ain't up to celebrating hari raya the way our moms and grandmas did........

No comments:

Post a Comment