Thursday 28 February 2013

life throws you strawberries most times......3

          Kak Gie called me on Monday. Talked about Selangor state government's "ibu tunggal" programme. Yours truly listened halfheartedly. Anyway, it culminated in her sending the form over the next day. I didn't know about this until she called me on Tuesday evening. I was a little under the weather and had spent the day sleeping so I hadn't ventured to the main house.
         Kak Gie called me again on Tuesday night to check if I had filled in the form. I had. But I hadn't looked for my divorce papers then. I had to think where it could be. It's not a document I've had to use even once since I got it! And I got it a looong time ago. Which brings this to mind - why don't the authorities give us a divorce card as well? Something we could carry in our purse alongside our myKad, driver's licence etc.
         I found the papers in a file on my bookshelf. [For a moment, I thought maybe it got burnt along with my diploma etc when my daughter's rental place suffered a short circuit a few years back]. I looked at it - my second look after all this time. The document that formalised the end of a big phase of my life. I smiled at the memories. Grateful that I'm not bitter. Thankful that our daughters turned out pretty "balanced" despite coming from a broken marriage. Relieved that we could still sit across a table and converse peacefully.
          Kak Gie had mentioned that she would need help at the "ibu tunggal and wargamas jom shopping" bash at Giant on Wednesday. And she insisted that I should bring over my form when I said okay to helping out.
          So there I was yesterday, with my current housemate, at Giant, Taman Pertama. A little sluggish from my sinus. We helped prepare the tags. Easy work really. Once done, I went off to get a drink while awaiting further instructions. In the interim, I helped direct some folks to the proper counters and with their queries.
          I had prepared a shopping list last weekend and this seemed like a good opportunity to get my shopping done too. Guess what? Allah had other plans for me. Kak Gie enquired if I had my form ready. I nodded. She told me that they accept on the spot registrations.
          And RM100 of my shopping was subsidised! Got a free lunch too - courtesy of my housemate. All because I said yes to helping out a dear friend.
           Yup! Life throws us strawberries most times........
         

No comments:

Post a Comment