Monday 21 January 2013

Confession time! ...I don't read newspapers

          Many look at me askance when I say this. "Then how do you keep abreast of whatever's going on?", they asked. And I will cheekily reply, "There WILL always be those who are more than willing to tell me about "what's hot" - whether I'm interested or otherwise!".
          Faiz for one. Where do you think I got all the details on Anwar Ibrahim? Am I interested in Anwar Ibrahim? Not really. But I still get to hear every morsel of news on him...courtesy of Faiz - an avid offline, online, electronic news fanatic. We used to be housemates. He would read the News Straits Times at home, then The Sun and whatever paper he could lay hands on at the condo cafeteria and the various places we had coffee at. Now, he has more avenues - the internet!
          I find newspapers depressing. It's mostly bad news. And I'm not too fond of bad news. No wonder there are a lot of depressed folks around. Psychologists have stated that those who live on newspaper fare are bound to be pessimistic. There you go! Faiz, I keep telling you....
          I wish there's a "happy news" paper. Even if it's only two pages. I like to smile. I also like to shed happy tears.
          Facebook helps me too. At least 25% of my fb friends will post whatever is the sensation of the moment. The plus side is, they also post happy news. I like!
          Since I don't read newspapers, don't watch tv, don't read entertainment magazines much, I'm ignorant of lots of stuff like the who's who of the corporate, social and entertainment world for one. I figure I won't be penalised on this when I stand before Allah swt. So, I remain steadfastly ignorant.
           And blissfully cheerful...... Peace yo! ;)
         

No comments:

Post a Comment