Friday 25 January 2013

yes...this is me! right now....

          Faiz called me earlier. During the course of the chat, he reminded me that my birthday is tomorrow since it's technically Friday already now. I hadn't even thought of my birthday yesterday. Or today even, if not for that chat. Although I have a date with a "sahabat" later tonight to celebrate it - it's a ritual this particular friend tries very hard to keep to every single year.
          Haaaaah....another birthday! In sya Allah. Last birthday, at 52, I adopted the hijab. A move that surprised/shocked many. Not the fact that I donned the "tudung" as we call it here, but the fact that I "shrouded" myself - the whole nine yards! Abaya over my casual wear, "tudung labuh", socks on feet...you get the drift.
          And the very first question I got was, "Do you still smoke?"
          I laughed! Of course I still smoked. I am still smoking. Truthfully, I am not sure if I can break this foul habit. I am just relieved that there is still khilaf over smoking.
          It's funny really that many assume that I would suddenly metamorphose into this epitome of a muslimah. I wish it was as easy as that - change mode of attire, get exemplary muslimah features/characters automatically!
          It took this long for me to cover my aurat. Not that I didn't know it is a syariat requirement. Not that I didn't know I was sinning every single day that I didn't. Not that I didn't care. It took the prodding and logic of a very young chap to provide this impetus for change. And I'm forever thankful to Allah for bringing this beautiful soul into my life - the son I never had.
          In many, many ways, I'm still the old me. Still cheeky. Still with my own brand of humour. Still candid. Still aspiring to be fully non-judgmental. Still striving to be a beautiful soul.
          Still finding it very hard to be a "beautiful" person.....

2 comments: