Thursday 14 July 2011

RUMI - REVISITED

I was in my 30s when I discovered Rumi. How fortunate! He led me into a different realm; of seeing The Divine as lover, friend, soulmate. Though at first his poems seem cryptic, sometimes unfathomable (to me), the decades in between have somewhat changed that. 

I don't profess to know Rumi well, much less claim that I fully understand his writings. I only know that there are certain poems of his that I love, the understanding of which deepens and affects me differently as I age along.

Here's my absolute favourite:

      and be completely clear-hearted,
      like the face of a mirror
      that contains no images.
      If you want a clear mirror,
      behold yourself
      and see the shameless truth,
      which the mirror reflects.
      If metal can be polished
      to a mirror-like finish,
      what polishing might the mirror
      of the heart require?
      Between the mirror and the heart
      is this single difference:
      the heart conceals secrets,
      while the mirror does not.

He sure has a way of touching my heart......

No comments:

Post a Comment